Pages

Thursday, 22 March 2012

Status paper on SC/ST Act sought


Dalits Media Watch
News Updates 22.03.12
 
Status paper on SC/ST Act sought - The Hindu
A wall divided people of Uthapuram but their will united them, says HC - The Hindu
MIM plans to take Dalits, BCs on board - The Times Of India
 
The Hindu
 
Status paper on SC/ST Act sought
 
Special Correspondent
The State government should come out with a status paper during the budget session of the Assembly on the implementation of the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act over the past decade.
 
This demand was put forward by the jury, which comprised advocates, activists and artists, after hearing the victims in 36 cases from 11 districts of the State, narrating the atrocities on them by various sections of the society at the peoples' public hearing held last week. Of the victims who deposed before the jury, 23 cases were from the Scheduled Castes and 13 from the Schedule Tribes. In 17 per cent of the cases, women were the victims.
 
In about 30 per cent of the cases where the complaint was filed, no FIR was filed and in 70 per cent of the cases the accused had not been arrested. In 50 per cent, the cases were not registered under SC&ST (POA) Act, said Ossie Fernandes, director, Human Rights Foundation and one of the organisers of the public hearing.
 
The Hindu
 
A wall divided people of Uthapuram but their will united them, says HC
 
Mohamed Imranullah S.
Directs State to compensate Dalit victims as per SC/ST Act
 
"The Uthapuram experience shows that if the will of the people is strong, they can find solutions among themselves even in the absence of State intervention. Such was the fundamental duty imposed under Article 51-A (e) of the Constitution.
 
Ultimately, Uthapuram message is very clear. It was a case of a wall (caste) which divided but their will (power) united them," is how the Madras High Court Bench here on Tuesday summed up the truce reached between Caste Hindus and Dalits of Uthapuram, a nondescript village near here, last year.
 
Justice K. Chandru made the observation while disposing of a batch of writ petitions filed by the Dalit victims in 2010, a year before the leaders of the warring caste groups agreed to co-exist peacefully due to negotiations initiated by Madurai Superintendent of Police Asra Garg and his team.
 
Appreciating the SP, the judge held that there was no necessity to pass orders on the petitioners' plea for a CBI enquiry into the violent incidents that had taken place in the past in view of the peaceful resolution of disputes through an agreement signed by both sides on October 20 last year. However, he directed the State Government to pay compensation to the Dalit victims as provided under the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act and said that the quantum must be determined as per the revision made by the Centre through a notification issued on December 23 last. The money should be paid within twelve weeks after deducting the amount already paid.
 
The Madurai Collector was also ordered to entertain fresh claims of compensation and ensure implementation of the terms of the agreement within two weeks.
 
As per the agreement, the Caste Hindus had expressed no objection for the Dalits to worship in the local Muthalamman Temple. Similarly, the Dalits agreed that the management and administration of the temple would rest with the Caste Hindus.
 
The Dalits also agreed that there was no need for demolishing temple compound wall if they were allowed entry. Further, they dropped their demand for constructing a bus shelter on the temple premises and accepted to construct it near a Police Outpost on a land to be provided by the Caste Hindus. The agreement also stated that both sides had accepted to withdraw criminal complaints lodged against each other so as to ensure lasting peace in the village.
 
Therefore, the judge directed the Chief Secretary to take a decision in this regard within eight weeks and issue appropriate orders to the district administration to withdraw those cases.
 
The Times Of India
 
MIM plans to take Dalits, BCs on board
 
TNN | Mar 22, 2012, 07.22AM IST
HYDERABAD: With the Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen entering into its sixth decade in the state legislature, party president and Hyderabad MP Asaduddin Owaisi plans to broaden the party base by taking up issues specific to the dalit and backward classes and striking alliances with them. "If the Muslims, dalits and backward classes come together, the political scenario in the state will change. Look at what happened in UP in the recent elections. That experiment is waiting to be replicated in AP," he told TOI on Wednesday.
 
MIM was formed in 1958 and entered into electoral politics the following year. Asaduddin Owaisi's father late Sultan Salahuddin Owaisi became a councillor in the MCH in 1960 and MLA in February 1962.
 
On the party's equations with TDP and Congress, Owaisi said. "They seek our support. We mobilize our cadre and ensure that the candidate of our ally wins election. But when it comes to mobilizing voters in support of MIM candidates, the ally gives nothing. This one-way traffic has to end now," he said.
 
The Pioneer
 
 
Wednesday, 21 March 2012 23:17
Pioneer News Service | Gwalior
Bottom of Form
The Gwalior bench of MP High Court has found the caste certificate of Guna MLA Rajendra Saluja to be fake. Rajendra Saluja presented the certificate of Sansi caste, while contesting the Assembly election.
 
The Sansi caste is a scheduled caste and the Guna seat was reserved for a scheduled caste candidate. Rajendra Saluja won the election as an Independent candidate and defeated the Congress candidate Sangeeta Mohan Rajak, who had challenged the caste certificate of Rajendra Saluja.
 
Sangeeta Mohan Rajak said that Saluja had submitted his caste as General caste in the ration card in Guna. She had also presented documents presented by Saluja in support of his General caste.
 
The matter was referred to the inquiry committee which found that the caste certificate presented by Saluja was fake.
 
Saluja challenge the report of the inquiry committee in the High Court that one member of the committee was absent and hence, the report should be rejected.
 
Justice Sujoy Paul of the High Court said that in his decision on Wednesday, the report of the inquiry committee is correct and the pietistic of Saluja is rejected.
 
The advocates of Sangeeta Mohan, Rajak Rajaneesh Sharma and Vinod Pathak, said that they are now going to file a case of fraud against Saluja.
 
Rajendra Saluja said that he has not read the decision so far. "My advocate is taking out a copy of the decision to study on it.
 
"The decision has been delivered by a single bench and we would appeal against it in front of a double bench" he said.
 
Rajendra Saluja is regarded as an influential leader of the BJP, but in 2008 when the BJP did not give him ticket for contesting the Assembly election, he switched over to the Uma Bharti camp and won the election.
 
 
-- 
.Arun Khote
On behalf of
Dalits Media Watch Team
(An initiative of "Peoples Media Advocacy & Resource Centre-PMARC")
...................................................................
Peoples Media Advocacy & Resource Centre- PMARC has been initiated with the support from group of senior journalists, social activists, academics and  intellectuals from Dalit and civil society to advocate and facilitate Dalits issues in the mainstream media. To create proper & adequate space with the Dalit perspective in the mainstream media national/ International on Dalit issues is primary objective of the PMARC.